Kathina Celebration ကထိန်ပွဲ
October 23 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
KATHINA ROBE OFFERING
This event is subjected to COVID 19 situation.
Kathina civara means robes offered to the sangha during the kathina ceremony.
Offering of kathina robes was originally made to a group of bhikkhus known as the Bhaddavaggi Brothers of Paveyya region. The Buddha allowed a special form of robe offering to the members of the Sangha who were in need of robes. One-month period from the full moon day of October to the full moon day of November was prescribed as the period, during which, kathina robes may be offered. This special offering is purely voluntary. Bhikkhus are not supposed to ask for such offering even from their own parents. Robes are offered to the Sangha and not to any individual bhikkhu. These offerings are placed before the members of the Sangha who have observed their rains retreat. A prescribed ritual is held in a Sima (hall) by the Sangha before distributing the offerings to the needy bhikkhus in the presence of the assembly. This special offering of robes brings five kinds of benefit to the donors:
These five benefits are as follows:
- The donor will always have safe journey without worry, danger or obstacle.
- They will never suffer shortage of food and will not be harmed by poisoned food.
- They will not suffer loss by robbery or theft.
- They will not suffer loss by natural disasters.
- They can easily accomplish what they set out to do.